In this blog post we will detail 5 ways you can immediately save money on your electric bill and increase the efficiency of your AC unit. By doing some of this maintenance yourself, you can save on potential air conditioning repair services.
The US Department of Energy estimates that over half of your utility bills are made up of running your heating and cooling systems.
This means that operating an AC unit is one of the highest expenses for the typical American family.
Many homeowners aren’t familiar with how to perform basic maintenance on an air conditioning unit.
While the more complex tasks should be left to the pros at Outstanding Heating and Cooling, these are a few free tips you can easily and quickly do yourself:
1. Utilize your ceiling fans
- Fans help keep AC costs down by circulating cool air throughout your home.
- Since ceiling fans use less energy than your unit’s fan, you should also make sure the fan on your air conditioning unit is always set to “auto”. You can find this control on your thermostat.
2. Keep your curtains and blinds closed in the afternoon
- If you prevent the most intense heat of the day from entering your home through windows, you are helping your AC unit run more efficiently.
- The heat that enters through the glass of your windows raises the temperature of the room. This means your air conditioning system has to work to bring the temperature down.
3. Make sure the area around your outside unit is clean and free of debris
- If the surroundings of your outside unit are clear and free of obstructions, the unit will run more efficiently. Grass, bushes, and litter are a few of the things that can collect or grow around your unit that need to be cleared.
- This means a little extra yard work – like trimming around the unit and its platform- will have a payoff. There should be a clearing of a few feet around your outside unit.
- A more focused and detailed cleaning and inspection should be done by a certified HVAC professional every year.
4. Increase the temperature on your thermostat by a few degrees
- Increasing the air temperature on your thermostat can save you a lot of money over a long span of time.
- Did you know that for every degree you raise your thermostat, you are saving up to 9% of the cost to run your AC unit?
- The experts at Outstanding Heating and Cooling would also be happy to install a programmable thermostat. This will give you even more control over the temperature of your home.
5. Avoid baking in the oven or using your dryer during the hottest parts of the day
- Warming up the oven for a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies is best done during the morning or evening hours. Likewise, saving that load of laundry for later is another good reason to keep the dryer off.
- If you operate these heat-producing appliances during the afternoon- the
hottest part of the day- they will create additional heat into your home. This will cause your air conditioning system to work harder and use more energy.
Your air conditioning system is very important to the comfort of your home. If you are experiencing problems with your AC unit, please don’t hesitate to call us. We provide estimates free of charge.
Don’t forget that every year a certified HVAC expert should perform a maintenance inspection on your unit. This is a low-cost service that can help you identify any potential problems before they become bigger issues.
If you have any more questions about air conditioning repair services in the Dayton, OH area– please give us a call at: 937-439-4696.
Delivering OUTSTANDING service is our #1 goal, and we are always happy to help!